View Single Post
Old 11-22-20, 12:18 AM
MyRedTrek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Ride_Fast
I’m looking for a front light that has a long battery life, is powerful, lightweight, easy installation and removal, USB charger, and is water proof or resistant. All of that for less than 100$ if possible. Any suggestions?
I've been happy using lights with adjustable beams that use a rechargeable 18650 battery. Bear in mind that not all 18650 batteries are created equally. I invested in Nitecore NL 189 3400mAh batteries - $25 apiece when I got them - which as far as I know is the highest true capacity 18650 battery available and a 4 slot charger. There are batteries that have larger capacities printed on them but I'm pretty sure they're fake with a far lower actual capacity. Those Nitecore batteries last.

I use a pair of lights. I used to use a pair of a particular model of Zefal lights that I got at Walmart (go ahead laugh) which are great because they have a notched swivel mount and an adjustable beam so you can aim them to combine the two beams into one patch on the road - two on high put out quite a bit of light. They also have a great quick-release. Unfortunately Walmart stopped carrying them. Had I known I wouldn't be able to get them any longer I would have bought a bunch. I haven't found another light exactly like them with the adjustable swivel mount and quick release. One that's similar is the Cree Q5 - they have an adjustable beam like the Zefal but the mount is fixed straight ahead. The Cree is designed to use either 3 AAA's or one 18650.