Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
I tend to focus more on people behavior here than machine behavior.

Ah but I know I can't figure out people's behavior. I will crack this LPLO thing. I already suspect it's:

Quick Reply loading posts from a new page that use images uploaded to the server

There's a feature in the JS that stores some amount of content in the user's cache and doesn't load new unless it detects that there's new content on the server. However, it appears to be able to get desynched and be stale without knowing, and so when it attempts to load the new page it helpfully checks whether the content has changed. Because it thinks it hasn't, it keeps you on the last page with content on your local cache. That's why posting onto the locked page works (it knows the content on the page has changed) but doesn't unlock the previous page. Then when you delete your browser cache and attempt to view the locked page, it can't find anything locally (of course) and loads all the new content and takes you to the requested page.

The workaround was simple to figure out; the JS is too ugly to easily figure out the cause by looking at the code. I may do some experimentation later to see if I can reliably repro the error.