Old 11-29-20, 07:34 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa

Yeah, this cable guide is too far up the down tube. I place them either resting on the bb shell or almost resting on it.

The saddle looks too far gone for me, but you might be able to lace the skirts to firm it up.

Looks like you got your hands on an excellent frameset with good bones and a very cool paint scheme. That's the most important part of any new project. As this bike is from a bf member, you may wish to show care discussing any big issues openly before you've addressed them with him. That's just decent community practice. Have fun refurb'ing.
What's to not discuss? The bike was listed as a "total project bike" and that is what it is. Plenty of good pics showing what was wrong in the ad. He was totally honest about it in my book so I'm just sharing the fun as I go along so that it may help others down the road. Doesn't a "total project bike" mean it's going to be a lot of work? And French on top which means figuring what it "weirdly" threaded and such. Anything I share only helps the next person, I'm not trying to make anyone look bad. In fact as I keep stating in the thread, totally happy how all the "issues" keep working out fine. Heck I'm loving the education and hunting fun this one is giving me. So much so that the Concorde I've got mainly waiting to be cabled up and tuned up is on the back burner.

So anyone, the crumbling lock nuts are so weird for doing that. I noticed that the outer facing surface of them was concave which I have noticed on any other hubs I've serviced. I'm betting that had something to do with the failures over time. I mean these are what, around 45 years old, LOL! Once I got the hubs and bearings and such cleaned up they look really good. Was researching the whole tpi issue last night but was too tired to get the ol brain around it. I did just remeasure the front axle and it is 9mm, that makes sense.

I knew going in that these were not the original tubular wheels and that there would likely be some issues. I also knew Ben at Velomine could hook me up with some 27" replacement wheels if needed. Or the Coop probably. Last time I was in there they had hundreds of wheels hanging from the rafters. But sorting these out is fun so I'm having at it. Today I'll open up the rear and see what I've got there. So far I've only had to chase to ball bearings around on the floor, that's pretty good for me, LOL!

Back to the coffee!!!!!!!!!!