View Single Post
Old 12-01-20, 09:19 AM
marcoguzm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PacoG
Hello Bike Forums I am 70 years old, I have a back problem because I was attended for surgery 2 years ago. My question is: should I respect medical recomendation to abandon bike rides because I have a pain in my back that is hearting my bones and also the neck, My passion is cycling and I cannot leave it, so I am in the middle of a way of handling my life and future, because I cant leave the bycicle since I ve been riding my whole life. Should I attend the recomendation or not. Yhanks for reading my post.
Paco:
I'm sorry you can't cycle due to a medical recommendation. I also live in Mexico City, I'm 67, a physician, and an avid cyclist. In the 90's I used to compete in MTB. Nowadays, I train for health reasons. Last year, I began going to Ajusco mountain again, and the first time I tried, I could only make 6 km of the 20 km to the top, which is 3,618 mt high (11,870 feet). I had to stop because I was exhausted and felt a lower back pain. I kept trying and in some more weeks I got to the top.
There are many things to consider in a bike: frame sizing, saddle construction and position, stem length and level, geometry. A professional may help you and you may improve from your back problem. Also, the frame material affects the quality of the ride. Last year, I got a Linskey titanium frame, which is a forgiving material. Good steel frames can also help to ameliorate road vibrations. A good physiotherapist can make wonders in back pains.
Good luck,
Marco.