View Single Post
Old 12-06-20, 09:47 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I converted an old MTB into an ebike for partially the same reason as the OP, i.e. work commuter, car free trips to the store, but also just for the experience. Then the covid hit and my employer shut down the showers at work, so I have yet to use it for work commuting. I do regularly use it in lieu of a car for store treks.

Having ridden one for the better part of a year I’ve learned the following

· They are an absolute blast to ride
· 99% of the people who hate them have never ridden one. they are also the people who seem to complain the loudest
· They greatly increase your range and let you explore more

Ebikes allow the same workout as human powered bikes, just potentially at a faster pace and covering a longer distance. Use the motor to augment what effort you are already putting out.

When I first built the bike I went to take care of my elderly mom for a couple of months. In those two months I visited areas of my home town that I had never ridden in the 25 years I grew up there. The ebike gives you so many more options in picking routes. Don’t need to worry so much about bonking too far from home or getting trapped behind by an unexpected head wind on the trip back. Busy streets are less intimidating when you can better keep up with traffic. Going through hilly regions aren’t the restriction they used to be. Even the bad part of town is less life threatening when you can jam at 30 mph.

You do need to manage battery usage. Batteries have come a long way but they still deplete really rapidly if you try and run on just electric power. Keep the boost low and save it for a high speed run home.

I wish people could drop the posturing and let themselves enjoy the experience of an ebike. They aren’t just for old, overweight or physically disabled people. You can still keep your road bikes for workouts. Save the ebike for slow cruises, exploring greater ranges from your house, for trips to the store. I honestly feel anyone who truly loves cycling would enjoy an ebike (reminds me of the joke about mopeds and fat chicks)

As for MUPS don’t think that is ebike specific. People with kids and dogs are the biggest threat in my area, not ebikers.
Likes For Pop N Wood: