Old 12-06-20, 11:49 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
In my 20s, riding in the high 80s and low 90s was my favorite. Ride hard, drink lots, and be drenched in sweat like you had done twice the work.
As a bike commuter during the winter (converted hard tail mtn bike with slicks, fenders and lights) I was happy at 35*+ and not so much below that due to cold extremities.

Now in my mid 60s, I am finding that those high 80s and low 90s really sap my energy and make riding longer than 1.5 hours a drag. Similarly since I don’t have to bike commute for many years, road biking below 40* is not enjoyable, but mtn biking is because I can warm up faster and stay warmer.

So what temps do you now decide to avoid because it saps your energy and enthusiasm? Providing your age as a data point would help. Inquiring trolls want to know.

P.S. This thread is not intended as a debate of who is more macho, worthy, wimpy or just right, so please don’t go there.
my ideal is mid-60s - just slightly chilly. Anything above 80ish I start to suffer. By 95 I’ll probably bag it. It was 32 when I planned on going out today, but it was the frost on the road rather than the temperature that prompted me to hold off for hour until 38 and sun had burnt off the frost. I can do low 30s with a couple of jerseys, arm warmers, tights over my bibs and full fingered gloves. I could likely go lower with more clothes, but I’m not interested in riding like the Michelin Man. I think I’ve become more cold-tolerant and heat-sensitive as I’ve aged.

Last edited by Litespud; 12-06-20 at 11:55 AM.