Old 12-08-20, 01:57 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,073 Posts
Originally Posted by lbgary
If I buy Reynolds, is it 953, 853, 631, 525 or some other undefined tube I know nothing about?
If you get your Reynolds at Torch and File, Andy can help you decide, he's been a framebuilder since the '70s.

I'd recommend using something cheap and thick-wall, because (1) it doesn't matter much, as Andrew Stewart pointed out and (2) it's safer for a hobbyist, less likely to dent or kink it or burn a hole through it. Save the paper-thin wundertoobs for after you've got your processes so nailed down that you're getting bored and need more challenge.

We can help choose a particular tube (well I'm not volunteering anyone but myself, but probably others would chime in too) if you tell us what tube (DT or TT for example) and what diameter you need. A few other details could help too, like your weight and the intended use: hammering with racers, touring (with/without camping gear), off-road etc. Honestly though I'd probably just end up recommending the same sorta-thick tube for whatever usage you mention, for the ease/safety of construction

Mark B in Seattle
Likes For bulgie: