View Single Post
Old 12-08-20, 04:04 PM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
I assembled a bunch of Allegro data and posted it as a google sheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...h6HkE/htmlview. Your serial number is 10 away from a bike identified as a 1961, so not too terribly long after the switch from Nervex Professional to Bocama mod. 14 pattern II lugs. The dates aren’t ironclad but they’re reasonable.

Those lugs lasted into the mid-70s, and I think Allegro was the only company to use them on their top tier bikes. Yours is really cool with the chrome and brazed on cable stops. My ‘74 was the budget version with almost all clamp-on fittings and a Stronglight P3 headset.

The ride on these is a treat.
Rusty, I just saw your spread sheet and was glad to see my old Allegro on it. Mine was the third on your list, Ser. No. 99116, I sold it to Craig Griffith a couple years ago. I dragged it out of an antique shop in Peoria, IL and put it in my garage for a couple years trying to figure out how old it was and what to do with it. I finally decided I needed to downsize some of my collection and was able to find Craig. We made a deal and off to AZ it went. In a world of Allegro road bikes it was kind of neat to see an oddball like mine .... upright aluminum handlebars, fat tires, aluminum fenders, 3-speed derailleur. It was a pretty cool old bike, and as far as I could tell, mostly original.