Old 12-09-20, 09:43 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Somehow its built wrong. I would suggest getting a pin spanner and removing the outer lockring then the bolt and not removing the arms. See if the splines are actually lined up. I've seen these installed where it was a slightly tight fit so it was assumed things had been lined up and instead it was off by a few degrees and the bb cut slightly into the crank splines. Because it wasn't all the way it was possible to pull the crank and reinstall properly. But you want to look. If this has happened and it cut too deep that arm is garbage. If this isn't it, I've never heard of the arms or bb being milled wrong but anything is possible.
That's exactly the situation I described in my post above. When I had a couple of FC-6500 Octalink cranks, I would always remove the autoextracting retaining ring and bolt so I could look at the interface as I assembled the arms onto the spindle. I was remarkably easy to butt the splines up against each other rather than nesting them correctly is you didn't watch.