mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by walkingCorpse
I use a Schwinn noseless saddle as the narrow seats cause me butt pain after heavy exertion on the bike. With this setup there is too much slipping to the front and I have to adjust my butt position every few minutes. This is an annoying nuisance but is not the worst.
my first thought when I read this was that your saddle tilt or the fore-aft position needs to be adjusted. sliding forward is an indication that your pelvis is not cradled and balanced on the bike. the result is that you are pushing yourself back constantly into the saddle, which is putting more pressure on your hands. sort that out first, then consider the handlebar position.

a lot of people will recommend contoured grips with "wings" like Ergon. while these are a good solution to stability and comfort for long distances, don't let weird grips give you the illusion that they are solving your problem. IME, a bike that is set up to fit the rider well should not need weird weird grips to be rideable. your bike should be comfortable enough that you can go on a short ride without grips at all (not that I recommend that) and you should seek out unconventional grips if you have an underlying medical issue or you want to ride very long distances.

I feel the same way about padded gloves. I can ride 50+ miles without gloves and I actually don't like padded gloves. I wear gloves on my mountain bike to mitigate injury if I fall and wear gloves on other rides only when it's cold. if you can't ride at all without padded gloves, you have a bike fit issue that needs to be resolved, or you have an undiagnosed medical issue.