View Single Post
Old 12-12-20, 12:20 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
A somewhat related (but not totally related) thought is about power loss during a gear shift and how to minimize it. We've all had the experience of climbing a hill in a competitive or semi-competitive situation and losing ground because we needed to shift gears, but I'm thinking about it b/c of Zwift, where all eyes are on the power numbers and you can lose a lot of power during even a simple gear shift (i.e., just changing rear cog).

Am I wrong to think that this is what it is and is not a product of technique? In a gear change, there always has to be a moment when power isn't going to the wheel. (and it doesn't matter if you are measuring power at the pedal or the crank, the resistance has gone down for that time) I'm sure that lost power X time is minimized by DI2, but I'm not about to put my DI2 bike on the trainer (I don't care that much). But with with mid-range (105 5600) group stuff, not much to be done, huh?

If I'm in a zwift race, I may not change gears at all, but if I do, I try to do it only when I'm in the draft, where the quirks of the game minimize the effect.
Cant see how this is a problem in real life as the worst case shift times are under a second so you just have to pedal a little harder for a couple extra seconds to make up for any losses during a shift. For rear only shifts you can shift under load so there shouldn't normally be any power loss.