Old 12-15-20, 08:54 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Wow, that is a serious anvil...what the back story on it and how did you get the thing home?
Best, Ben
I had trucks back then
Well if the OP doesn't mind a little thread drift this late in the game, I'll reply. Though the timeline is a little fuzzy, sometime back around 1980 a buddy talked me into going to a liquidation sale for an auto shop out in the country. He talked me into"needing" this anvil and the price seemed reasonable, so into the van it went. Back in those days I could actually pick that thing up. I don't remember offhand what it weighs, (a lot) but I could look up the markings on it again and maybe write it down this time. Never had the space or drive to set it up for years but at least I had it and meant to keep it. Even painted it a couple times (a big no no in black smithy circles I hear). It also spent several years with a coat of black paint on a tree stump at the end of my driveway, until the stump decayed and it fell over. By then I was pretty well done lifting it so it went back in the garage with a two wheel cart where I could get at it with a chain hoist. Then sometime in the late 90's I'm working in Florida and a buddy, a diesel mechanic working in the tractor trailer garage/warehouse told me they were going to have a massive house cleaning, disposing of years worth unused equipment. I was in and out of that building a lot as our equipment and material was stored in there as well and I had already spied another similarly sized anvil way back in the darkest corner of the warehouse so when the housecleaning was about to commence I asked him if that was doomed for the dumpster as well. He said "Yes it is. Hell, if you can pick it up and get in your truck without a forklift it's yours". Challenge accepted!It wasn't quit as heavy as the other one but still struggled to get in the truck and now wound up with two very cool anvils. And haven't even built the new garage yet. Years later with a good workshop now built and having a place to use one, and finding out the Florida anvil had a very loud distinctive ring to it, as very high end Swedish Kolhswa anvils are known for. Neighbors would not approve. The Kolhswa is cast steel, known as a "country anvil". The US made Vulcan, or "city anvil" is made of cast iron with a hard steel plate welded in the mold to the working surface, making a much more dull muffled ring, more conducive to neighborhood shops, schools, etc. But still a fine anvil. When a dear friend told me he was building a forge on his place out in the country and in the market for an anvil, and what one of his other buddies was trying to charge him for one, I insisted on gifting the loud one to him, leaving me with the one you see today. Paint all stripped off and just some oil on it once in a while. TLDNR?Vulcan