aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Danhedonia
I'd say it lacks esprit de corps. I'd define that phrase as 'all for one.' Instead, Zwift seems super-high-school-ish to me, with just tons of socially hyper-conscious behavior. It's "social" the way "social media" is social, which is to say: not the most functional.

More interesting to me is how my actual riding changes on Zwift.
- Too rigidly aware of momentary stats (avoiding erg death spirals, not losing stars on structured workouts, etc.)
- Bad habits re: avoidance. This is all my own doing, but I find myself working way too hard, then 'cheating' by exploiting drafting.
- Both Zwift and Rouvy definitely make me more likely to extend interval sessions to point of discomfort/strain. Whether this is good or bad, I'm not sure. I read the first bit of Haywire Heart last night and as someone who has some heart issues, found it sobering.
- Just much more goal-oriented than I am outside. Good? Bad? Not sure yet! Never thought I'd give a crap about 'earning drops to get a better climbing frame.'
- Similar to rollers, I find myself thinking about pedaling form more. Unlike rollers, I then tend to get distracted by ... social stuff.

I would imagine that any thread asking others for opinions and/or experiences can be considered trolling. I'm just very aware that this winter - my first using software paired to a smart trainer - my riding sure is 'different.'
The problem is Zwift then. You don't actually have to use Zwift, you can have a Garmin or Wahoo control your trainer's resistance. That way you can set your own intervals, and just run it off your computer. Then on your screen you can watch Netflix or YouTube or whatever and then you don't have to worry that you can't control your pace in the face of avatars bounding across your screen. Also don't have to worry about status and social smugness trying to get aero wheels, Tron bike, and perfect stars on all intervals.

As to intervals you say this "make me more likely to extend interval sessions to point of discomfort/strain. Whether this is good or bad, I'm not sure" assuming you've checked with your Dr. and I'm guessing you have because if not it would be stupid to be on Zwift getting your HR elevated at all. Anyway back to your question "good or bad" It's extremely good. You want to extend your intervals out...yes to the point of discomfort and it's funny you used strain because that's a huge component of getting faster. Actually don't even think of it as "getting fast" think of it as improvement. Depending on where your current fitness is, you build intervals around that and gradually increase. Improvement. For instance, let's say that you go all out as fast as you can sustain for 20 minutes to kind of test yourself. And your smart trainer says you rode 200 watts for that entire 20 minutes. Well, you'd build intervals around that. Or you could start with a Tempo pace and build a progression. Start with 2X20 Tempo with 5-8 minute rest. Then the next workout (and you'd only do 2 "interval" sessions a week to start) you would do 2X25, 5 minutes rest. Then 3X20, then 2X30 and shorten the rest interval. Make sense. You do want to push yourself for adaptations and to improve. You certainly can do this with Zwift, although their workouts plans are not very good at all, but since you have admitted issue with Zwift you could try it with other platforms (Trainer Road, TrainerDay, etc) or use your head unit to control the trainer's resistance.

Good luck.
Likes For aplcr0331: