View Single Post
Old 02-16-06, 02:54 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Eggplant Jeff
I am looking for a great folder. I agree the swift is a nice bike but I just don't think it's what I'm looking for in terms of foldability. I could totally see having it as a second bike (I liked it more than my current full-size bike), but I'm looking first and foremost for a small folder to ride to work.

I'm not looking for a bike I can customize. I probably wouldn't change anything on a brompton other than the seat (oh and lights). It already has all the stuff I'd want to add to a different bike (fenders, way to carry stuff, etc). I'm also not looking for a bike that can go off-road or take massive abuse or anything. I'm gonna ride it to work. It's gonna see potholes and stuff but that's about it. I'm not looking for a bike that is easy to service. I'm used to working on cars. Compared to cars, servicing anything on ANY bike is like a paint-by-numbers book after doing the sistene chapel. Plus getting service done on a bike is so cheap (again compared to cars) that I'll probably just drop it off if it needs anything significant done anyway.
Here's my opinion.

If you have to board the bus, then get a 16' inch wheel folder. A larger package may not be allowed inside the cabin but I've heard Bike Fridays owners do all the time so this may be more imaginary than anything else. Still. It's always better to board the inside the cabin of a bus with the smallest package possible.

Otherwise, you're better off getting a folding bike that has 20' inch wheels. You're going to want to do some weekend riding and a 20' inch folder without a hub gear is more efficient and faster than any 16' inch wheel 3 speed bicycle. I've never heard of a Bike Friday or Dahon owner that was kicked off a train because the package was too big so this fear is unwarranted. Comfort and performance mean everything and you really can feel the difference between between a 16 and 20 inch wheel bicycle. People keep saying the larger folding size will makes it inferror or that the smallest possible package is an advantage. Can you tell me where this 15-20% increase in size will makes it inferrior? I've been able to board buses and trains with a 20 inch wheel bicycle and never had a problem. Is there any Bike Friday owner on this forum who was kicked off a train on this forum because I would like to know. You won't find them because they don't exist! Seriously. The smallest possible package is not an advantage but a compromise.

From personal experience, I've been able to get my 20' inch wheel Dahon Speed 7 on buses and trains. The size was not more important but weight was. The weight of the folder can be a real probem and the lighter the better. The Brompton weights as much as the Dahon Piccolo and that's about 25-27 lbs! That's heavy.

My advice is to get a 20 inch wheel folder unless you intend to board the bus every day with your folder.

Last edited by Dahon.Steve; 02-16-06 at 03:00 PM.