View Single Post
Old 02-16-06, 03:17 PM
nav
It's a euphemism

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For my newest pack I went with a Dakine Nomad. It's not their biggest hydration pack (the Apex) but it easily holds more than I normally need to carry. The next smaller size is the Drafter. It's a huge improvement over Camelbaks in my opinion. (No I don't work for Dakine, but it's sure going to sound like it after I'm done.)

The back panel (what rests against your back) is made out of some sort of molded foam rubber that doesn't absorb sweat, so you don't get the "soggy backpack" syndrome. The straps are thicker than the Camelbaks that I've tried so they're more comfortable but still not so thick that they get sweaty. The waist straps can be removed if you don't need them (they're held on by a large amount of velcro, but don't worry: they're very solid and won't move when installed).

The compression straps hold closed a big fold out pocket for either quick access items or even helmet storage. The bottom of the pack has the normal straps for armor carrying or otherwise. There's an eyewear pocket, a compartmentalized pocket, and a huge pocket (which has the mesh pocket for the bladder inside of it) to complement the fold out pocket.

The hydration bladder is one of the best parts. Along with the essentials like a large filling opening and a very functional bite valve (with lock so it won't leak if someone sets something on it in the car) it also offers little features such as the tube can disconnect at the base of the bladder (without leaking) so that you can refill the bladder without taking the tube out of the pack.

If you do look at Dakine packs, the newer models do have big improvements over models from a couple years ago, so don't get a closeout one if you can.

In short: I'm a huge fan, best hydration pack ever .