View Single Post
Old 12-22-20, 05:48 AM
PebbledChin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rickybails
Just wanted to add some comments from experience on seatpost slippage...

1) Seatpost clamps are not all the same - some can provide a much tighter clamp than others. The stock Xootr ones (at least they were stock 13 years ago) are not that great - Peter Reich sent me some better ones but not branded so I can't tell you what make they are.
3) grease did work for me (by making the post a tighter fit) but it makes a mess - particularly annoying when loading into cars. Better than grease is a wax-based dry lube - does the same job but won't make as much of a mess.
Sheldon Brown always recommended internal cam skewers, writing that they can achieve much higher compression, but I'm sure I've read on this thread that someone damaged his seat tube by overtightening the QRs. If Peter Reich sent internal cam QRs, then they must be acceptable. Was this for an aluminium alloy frame?
I've just now dug out my Swift manual (2008 version) and there is not much mentioned about the seat post: Check both clamps are clamping by releasing each one individually and ensure on each occasion the post can't be moved. Use a lubricant like Finish Line.
Your suggestion of wax-based lube has made me think of trying a solid like candle, bees, or carnuba wax that would flow under pressure and gap fill but not so easily migrate onto hands or clothing.

Last edited by PebbledChin; 12-22-20 at 05:52 AM.
Likes For PebbledChin: