Old 12-22-20, 01:40 PM
AVolta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Eliminating the Need to Degrease

Originally Posted by Bicicletta89
I have a foam chain degreaser but I ran out and so I decreased my chain with WD40. Only thing is now I’m worried-is it possible the wd40 dropped down to the axles and messed up the bottom bracket and rear axle bearings/seals? Hope I didn’t mess it up.
Starting with a new chain (or chain cleaned by a number of the excellent method suggested in this thread), I have been using a self-cleaning lube called "lillylube", which I would not have ordinarily tried had I not known its developer, Jason Lilly. This product is designed to be applied to the chain which is then wiped and left to sit overnight to dry, leaving only the lubricant that hardens overnight. Instead of following the directions to liberally apply it while cranking the chain, however, I tie a thread around a chain link for a temporary reference, then I drop the lube/solvent into each chain link bearing one by one. Each drop is immediately wicked into the bearing. It sounds tedious, but doesn't take that long. This, of course, solves the problem of having it accidentally creep into the wheel bearings and axle. Then I wipe the excess off of the chain with a rag and let it sit overnight. I road ride roughly 50 miles a week on mostly dry and sometimes gravel roads, and usually have to repeat this procedure only a couple of times per year. I have found other, paraffin based self-cleaning chain lubes to build up on the chain rings, cassette and derailleur and occasionally chunk off in small black globs onto unwanted places when taking my bike inside, not to mention needing to clean the buildup off of these components as well. My current method, however, does not have that problem and has served me well for years. Since I use so little of the product this way, a small bottle lasts a very long time, and it is for the same reason easy on the environment.
Likes For AVolta: