Old 12-22-20, 10:04 PM
loudbay

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by justcynn
bought a '87 Trek 520 Cirrus this year, paid near retail for it as it was in really good condition other than bar tape and hoods. Very happy with the purchase, ride, etc but eyeing the 700x wider tire ideas in this thread now
The tire lust is real. All my junk is pretty similar vintage and (mostly) Japanese lugged steel. I'm a sucker for value:cost ratios... I'm still learning, so I'm trying to enjoy the hunt, the build and learn from doing. Figuring out what I like geometry wise, component setup and tire width is enough for me to justify building something and then deciding if I should keep it afterwards. I won't be missing that many tire widths when the Miyata/Trek concurrent builds finish up. I've got a mostly stock Schwinn Paramount PDG3 with 23s and RX100 groupset, this Trek 520 I'm thinking 25s w the 105 donor set, Motobecane Grand Touring on 27x1.25 (hodgepodge parts, but rides tight), Miyata Triplecross 105 groupset (porteur build w barcons) on 38s, and waiting to pickup a Surly Cross Treck that's on Big Apple 50s, but knowing myself as well as I do, I'll likely dial those tires back a bit, so I can justify a 26 drop bar conversion or a 700 > 650b conversion. My wish list is really only a (84/85) black/gold Miyata 912 with the 600 Abaresque groupset (drool worthy for me) and something with brifters. The Surly is getting drops so I could go brifters there, but it's SRAM so $$$$ compared to most of my junk. We'll see...

Last edited by loudbay; 12-22-20 at 10:14 PM.