View Single Post
Old 12-23-20, 03:53 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 87 Posts
Pogliaghi123–the comments below are assuming you go the route of fixing this yourself:
Definitely first checking the angles will greatly help you decide how to best fix it. If its a “frontal collision” type accident the angles in the front “triangle” may all be mostly correct but the tubes will have compressed slightly (typically you see this more on cheap tubing or NJS track bike tubing, not on your Colnago-grade tubing)—if this is the case then un-wrinkle a few tube bubbles if you must but otherwise you could opt to ride it (as is as long as you have sufficient down tube to front wheel clearance.) If the top tube to seat tube angle is correct but the head tube angles are not (typical “I hit a pothole/car door” bend) then the Park tool (or a home-made equivalent using a pole jack) is exactly the tool you need and it will mostly fix the problem...but this specific type of damage is easily replicated when you hit the next pothole, or curb, or even by slamming on the front brakes and your already bent/repaired frame will undoubtedly have less than the original “resilience” to being re-damaged in that same way (that is where the “new tubes” option comes in). However, if the damage is from above, as you are guessing is the case for your frame and as was the case in the one I drew out above, the 4 angles in the front “triangle” will all be off and result in some variation of the drawings i posted above. If that is what has happened then the fix is easier and will not be as great a future liability as that type of stress/accident is not replicated in any way under normal riding conditions. Its hard for us bike-folks to wrap our head around that because we don’t often see this type of damage.