Old 12-24-20, 02:47 AM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Yesterday a gentleman in a pickup truck yelled that I was an a _ _ h o l e for riding on the road.
Vendrame punched by motorist in road rage incident
Quote from the article
"“I was riding towards Conegliano to head into the hills at about 10:00am. I was inside the white line when a car passed me really close at high speed. Then the driver suddenly hit the brakes, got out and threw a punch at me as I passed,” Vendrame explained."

My guess as to the cause of such incidents, at least partly, is that the animosity towards bicyclists comes from a$$hole militant bicyclists who ride bikes 'to save the Earth' and who act like pricks in city traffic because they are automobile haters. I also ride automobile as most bicyclists do and some bicyclists do raise my ire no end with their arrogant behavior on the road.

Another cause might be if you bike on a road that is imminently not suitable for riding a bike on and you become a PITA and very potential liability for automobile drivers. Still another cause might be some traffic laws aimed to unduly protect the bicyclists (positive discrimination) that have the effect to irritate car drivers and create a animosity between the two. And last don't forget rednecks.

As to the adrenalin, try riding a fixie bike in city traffic. If that still doesn't give you proper fix, leave your brakes at home. I used to do that when I was younger and fearless and I can assure you, your attention will rise hundred fold. For more routine riding or commuting, I'd still recommend at least the front brake. The style 'look ma, no brakes' is suitable only for pure pleasure rides.

Last edited by vane171; 12-24-20 at 03:01 AM.
Likes For vane171: