Old 12-24-20, 09:26 AM
asalt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Superficial rust from nick in paint?

Dear highly qualified experts,

I am looking at buying a frame that appears to be in good condition. The seller says it seems to have been mostly kept in storage in the northeast.

There is a nick in the paint with a bit of rust showing in the photos. The seller says it appears to be a scratch from overshift and that it looks like surface rust that could be brushed off and coated with clearcoat or something else to neuatrlize and protect it. I have read various threads here about what to do to something like that but I was just curious if anyone would be willing to use their eagle eyes and encycopledic knowledge to venture an opinion about this rust spot. The seller is asking a premium for the good condition and the shipping is steep too, so just wondering if this is worth it (not in general, just if the rust poses any danger and could be more than superficial or could spread under the finish). I lived in Italy and L.A. for the last 25 years so no experience with rust but now I live in British Columbia, Canada hah where it rains more than not (almost) hah so am more concerned about rust.

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas. This place is GREAT and people are so knowledgeable and helpful here!