View Single Post
Old 12-28-20, 04:35 PM
tNuvolari

Bikes: 1986 Torpado Beta, 2006 Wilier Triestina Izoard

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanks to all for the suggestions and new ideas. Who knew there were so many different handlebars???

I'm leaning towards bullhorns because of a couple reasons. First, I think I can use more easily obtained Campy 10 speed brifters on them. I know it's not ideal but they should work without too much difficulty in reaching. I would mount them under the bars and at the ends. The only trouble will be routing the cables...
And then the other factor for bullhorn choice is that they allow a bit more aerodynamic posture than other upright bars. I've also read that bullhorn bars feel most like being on the hoods on drop bars which is where I like to be most of the time.
Also, they are narrow which allows better movement through traffic.

Of course, that narrowness won't help in calming the twitchiness on my Torpado so that's a downside. I guess I can always switch to less drastic bars if I don't like the bullhorns.

Any thoughts on bullhorn bars?

And finally, I love the look of a honey Brooks saddle but not a fan of the price or weight. I'll just keep my old San Marco saddle for now but I'll probably want something different as this San Marco is very hard and uncomfortable for me. How is the comfort of a Brooks, both new and used? Do they change much as they're broken in? I also like a San Marco Regal which can be found for much less money.

And thanks so much for all the suggestions, some pretty cool stuff in this thread that I didn't know existed. The condorina bar is pretty cool and unique.

Oh, and I think I'm going with a Cinelli Ant stem which is a short 60mm. I had a 100mm stem on this bike with drop bars but it was a bit of a reach for me. This frame is a 54 with 54cm seat tube and top tube. My Wilier is just a touch smaller with around 53cm for the top tube but that less than 1cm made a huge difference in comfort and sliding forward on the saddle that I was experiencing on the Torpado.