View Single Post
Old 12-31-20, 11:54 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Was a samsung last year but the moto didn't do any better this year hanging out in south-western ny and NW PA exploring the parks. Was just using google maps so maybe something else would work but couldn't see where I was or where I needed to go.
Google Maps allows you to download offline maps into the phone, which will still be there if you lack a cell connection. The phone GPS will work without cell service as njkayaker pointed out. I believe the offline maps last a month in the phone but then require reloading.

I have an Explore and it is excellent for following a preloaded route. Routes can be loaded from GarminConnect or RideWithGps. I have not used it to find points of interest.......some of the points of interest preloaded in mine are truly bizarre. Same with pre-loaded services.

Relying on the Garmin to generate a route has been a crapshoot. I've done it on local routes where I knew exactly where I was going and how to get there, and the GPS often chooses routes that are unpleasant.

Supposedly the Garmins have the best screens among all the bike specific units, but I think it looks absolutely primitive compared to the crisp and detailed screen in an iPhone running Google Maps. Maybe that's the price to pay for the longer battery life? I've never used any other make so YMMV.