Old 01-01-21, 07:02 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6248 Post(s)
Liked 4,272 Times in 2,393 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
I think the Marathon plus is a bit of an overkill, but if they absolutely hate the idea of getting a flat, and they want the tire to last as least three times as long as a standard tire, then the weight may not be of much concern.
I’ve had very good luck for many decades with tire liners. I’ve had a few flats from them wearing on the tube but that doesn’t happen very often. The Marathon Plus (and like tires) have the same liner that is just sealed in the rubber of the tire. The plus side of the tire liners is that they can be used for dozens of sets of tires and aren’t necessarily tied to a particular tire.

I have been on rides where we had an epic number of flats...27 between 4 people...and I was the only one without a flat, including one person with tubeless. My wife got one of those 27 because I forgot to put a liner in one of her tires, the tubeless guy got 6 and one poor soul ended up with 20.

I mocked the Goathead Gods and ended up with 60 the next time I went into the same ride the next time I went. Since then I put on sacrificial tires (used ones from my co-op), tire liners, and Slime tubes. I haven’t even picked up a goathead much less gotten a flat after doing on a few different trips.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: