View Single Post
Old 01-02-21, 01:49 PM
rlmalisz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
you know what.....I have a very nice Trek Emonda ALR and I love the thing. Fits me like a glove, it is rim brake and a very nice ride, but after 5 years, I said I wanted a new bike with di2. I put 2 kids through college and leaving no one with college debt, I built my wife a very nice craft room for her to do her thing, I work my butt off and I deserve a new bike.

Now originally I was looking at a carbon Emonda, but being older now, and having no plans to race, I decided I probably needed something a little more easy on the back, and looked at endurance frames. So I ordered a 2021 Trek Domane SL7. But being, you know, Covid, there was the supply and demand issue and there would be a wait to get it. Originally it was supposed to arrive in late Nov, but then it moved into Dec, but when Sept rolled around and they told me the delivery got pushed out to April, I was like screw it, went 2021 Project One SLR7 Domane and got the bike in 10 days. Did I want to spend that much, nope on many levels, I even watch the local and web used market, but.......I have to say, since I have been riding it.......OMG is it sweet. After 500 miles, I decided to swap out the 11-34 cassette it came with ( and in picture) , as due to supply issues mentioned, I could not get anything else, and finally found a 14-28 as I live in a very flat corner of the world. I will never use the 30, 32 or 34 tooth cog, and rarely if ever used the 11-13, so when I saw someone had that in stock, I snapped one up.

So if you want a new bike, or just a new to you bike, you deserve it...get it, ride it, enjoy it and have fun on it.

This is my new mistress as my wife call it. ...

So how do you like the robo-shifters? I, too, am interested in Di2, but hate to go even as far up as a Domane SL7 to get there. And unlike you, have comparatively few stretches where I ride that you could call flat. One of my concerns with Di2 is whether the system accomodates "big shifts". The base of the 1-mile hill to home is flat for 100 feet, and then abruptly starts climbing, oscillating between 8-12% grade. And the first bit at the bottom is 12% With my current triple x 7, I can drop a whole lot of gear-inches in a hurry. If I have to work my way through 7 gears or so onesies, I can see myself grinding to a stop before I get geared low enough for the hill. And falling over, clipped in.

--Richard