View Single Post
Old 01-08-21, 09:41 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Hub Threads; Hub Lock-up

I have a 1970 Raleigh Sports with perfect threads on the hub axles, as well as perfect "R" chromed nuts for the front; rear nuts are not damaged either. I had removed the front hex nuts and replaced with some old wing nuts I had laying about. I do not know what bike the wing nuts originally came from and they are not marked. I used them vice the original nuts due to transporting bike in a Mini Cooper and always having to remove the front wheel to store the bike. Unfortunately, I partially stripped one wing nut; still usable due to removing a washer and grabbing enough good threads. The wing nuts are alloy, and without any brass or steel threaded insert making threads easier to strip. I assumed they must have been from a fairly old race bike to be all aluminum. They fit the hub threads properly, not at all loosely, and certainly not too tight. I do not know what the hub threads are in order to ensure that when I replace them I order the correct parts for front (and rear); but not without inserts if alloy. Possible to bore out my alloy wing nuts and install correctly threaded inserts?? The hubs are original to the bike; rear hub is S-A "AW" dated 69 13; front hub Raleigh OE. Are both hubs Whitworth threads? Are there wing nuts available for that thread style if required? I have have other wing nuts (different sized; front and rear?) that fit early French hubs ('30s--'60s), and others fitting Italian hubs; but none will fit the English hubs (front or rear; tried on 1954 Hercules, 1965 Robin Hood, and 1970 Raleigh). All my other wing nuts are "steel", or have brass threaded inserts.

Quick side note: riding the "Hood" and hit a speed bump hard enough to bounce me off the saddle (though not off the bike), probably only 12-13 Kph. The rear hub locked up to forward motion. I got off bike and turned crank in reverse without issue but felt a little rough. I was able to get forward motion, but it locked up again and I partially popped a chain link. End of ride! I rode as a "foot scooter" on one pedal all the way back home. Any thoughts before I tear it apart, I have never had this happen. The speed bump definitely was part of the cause. I ride the Raleigh Sports with same model rear hub much harder and faster both on and off road (even used for a race with clipless pedals), and have never had anything like this regardless of the bumps and jumps. Granted the Sports hub has lower mileage (I assume) than the Hood.

Thanks!!

Last edited by HPL; 01-08-21 at 09:46 AM.