Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by speedyspaghetti
Hey everyone,

So I recently got into gravel riding and I freaking love it. My bike is Scott Speedster Gravel 30 - I do wish I had spent a little more and gotten something a bit lighter (I didn't know I would like it this much) but it is very much serviceable.

The bike comes with a GRX 2x10 drivetrain - 46/30 and 11-34. This is already a pretty big range, but I live in a rather hilly area and some of the trails around here have grades north of 20% for short sections. I almost always end up having to dismount halfway up these really really steep parts and I'd like to be able to clean them without getting off.

I'd like to upgrade the cassette to something with a few bigger cogs, but according to what I've found online, the most people have fit on the GRX-600 RD is an 11-36. I don't really want to spend the money on a new cassette for 2 teeth, so would there be a way to get an 11-40 or so on there? I do have a spare Wolf Tooth RoadLink (this one) laying around - would that work for what I'm trying to do? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
I have an Ultegra setup that can handle 46/30T on the front and 11-36T cassette with no drama (and a little bit of a B-screw tweak). This can get me up a 17.5% grade. The Ultegra derailleur that I have is spec-ed at 32T max cassette. I bet you could get an 11-40T or 11-42T on there with a GRX derrailleur without a problem. Try it. If it doesn't work, then use the Wolf tooth extension or an XT long cage derailleur or Box derailleur.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 01-09-21 at 09:24 AM. Reason: clarification