Old 01-09-21, 04:40 PM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by cafzali
Even though I’ve been road cycling since 2008, I only recently made the switch from SPDs to SPD-SL pedals. I wanted a wider pedal platform and needed to replace my existing shoes anyway, so I figured now was the time.

Since making the switch, I’ve noticed they seem much harder to disengage from than SPDs. Even after loosening the pedal tension as much as possible, they still don’t seem nearly as responsive. It’s interesting to me that they’ve become so popular given this issue, but I realize it could just be the adjustment and that some people may find it more challenging than others.

Interested in hearing other’s experiences.

TIA.
I need to recall my previous response - I have the bike on an indoor fluid trainer and just double checked the dismount - now I have to agree with you , it's much more difficult to disengage the SPD-SL cleats ( in my case Blue Shimano SPD-SL cleats ) from the pedal , i.e. DuraAce SPD-SL , as compared to my old red SPD Look cleats with Look SPD pedals - I'm in the market for new shoes , my test was done with old shoes but new SPD-SL cleats , but first I'll try setting the pedal tension to the smallest amount and if it's still harder to dismount I'll probably opt for new DuraAce SPD pedals with regular Shimano SPD cleats - will hopefully find a buyer for the DuraAce SPD-SL pedals , Ughhhhh !!!!

Last edited by blinky; 01-09-21 at 04:48 PM. Reason: punctuation and grammer