Thread: New Challenges
View Single Post
Old 01-13-21, 10:26 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked 2,083 Times in 1,092 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77
Climbing is harder on a recumbent, isn't it?

Are you using aero bars? If not, would you consider trying? For me, they make a big difference in terms of comfort, especially on long flat stretches. The additional aero advantage is also a nice bonus, but the focus is on comfort.
My experience is that climbing is slower on a bent; the steeper the climb the more the difference. As far as aero bars, my lower back cannot currently take the hip/torso angle of aero bars. The summer of 1989 I got some clip-on aero bars and used them extensively. The end of that summer is when a disc ruptured; in my mind aero bars and back pain are strongly correlated. 30 years after back surgery it's better than ever, but I don't have that much flexibility in my spine.

Originally Posted by unterhausen
What was the precipitating event that led you to switch to the dark side?

Anyone can ride a 400k, you just have to give up on the idea of sleeping. 27 hours is plenty of time. And there's nothing like the second sunrise on a ride. Longer than that is a problem.
A prime motivation is to facilitate being able to ride with other people. The 'bent goes up and down so differently than uprights, similar to a tandem, that I end up riding solo more than I'd like. Or if I do ride with other people, my effort ranges from extremely high on climbs to loafing on the flats and actually riding the brakes on the descents. Also, I do ride an upright on shorter rides, and I'd consider it more "fun". I suppose I know I can do a 400k; the goal is a 1200k, and that means being able to finish a 400k with time in the bank, and without wanting to throw my bike in a ditch.

Originally Posted by kingston
I picked up a used recumbent a couple of years ago and rode a late season 400k. I was surprised at how different it was. I rode about a thousand miles in a month and was still about a mile-an-hour slower than on my uprights. It's probably easier to move from upright to recumbent than vice-versa, so good luck. I rando-friend of mine has been trying to make the switch to an upright for the last few seasons and has really struggled.
Back when I converted to 'bent, I felt like it took a full season before I was adapted, and I got faster over the next few years. I expect the same when going this way.
Likes For downtube42: