View Single Post
Old 01-14-21, 03:52 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 157 Posts
I agree jadocs . I fully expected to (hopefully) lose interest in comparing Left and Right output... IF they were close, e.g. 52/48, 51/49. Fortunately, that's what I've been seeing - 50/50 to 52/48 is my range. So, now I have two power meters on one bike that have less of a value to me - but again, I knew this going it, and had a couple points to rationalize the purchase:
1. I needed a complete crank - arms, spider, rings, everything
2. The left arm can be moved to another bike - assuming the other bike shares the same spindle - it does. So, two bikes, two power meters.

As I understand the system I bought - Shimano/Stages L/R power meter - one PM reports to the other and the L/R balance is calculated and reported. The other arm reports power - doubled. The surprise for me (before buying) was that Stages does not take advantage of each PM's data and average them - and report THAT as the power output. That seems like an easy way to get a more accurate total power output. Maybe it's a head-unit thing - Wahoo and Garmin computers are going to do that math? A better Stages App could... maybe?