View Single Post
Old 02-17-06, 10:58 AM
baiskeli
unaangalia nini?

Bikes: Jamis Quest (Ultegra components,Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels and Reynods Ouzo Pro Fork), Gary Fisher Tassajara

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Polonswim
I read a thread that stated that Giro helmets are made by the Bell company. That didn't phase me, but on that thread was a comment about how Bell helmets fit different than Giro helmets. I went to a LBS and tried each of them on. They do fit differently. That made me think

I know this will be considered a dumb questions since I tried both of them on, but what is the difference in how the two brands of helmets fit? I know there is a difference, but I am having trouble figuring it out.

After thinking about that for a few minutes, I began to think about how a helmet is supposed to fit in general. I tried on an Giro Atmos in both small and medium. When I put the medium on, I had to close the ratchet fitting system almost all of the way. When I put on the small, it seemed to fit better, not closing all of the way.

That brings up my second question, how do you know if a helmet fits properly? How would you know if a Bell fits better than a Giro or some other brand? I know how a helmet is supposed to be worn, but after thinking about it, I have no idea how it is supposed to fit.

I can't be the only one who wonders this, so I am hoping that everyone here has a good way of answering the question. Thanks.
For me helmet fit is a continuum rather than a discrete point. As long as when I tighten the straps the helmet does not move when pushed at the front I am okay. And of course I have to be somewhat comfortable

I have both a Giro Pneumo and a Bell Ghisallo and the Giro fits me okay (I rode with it for 2 years) but the Bell Ghisallo fits much better.

YMMV. I have a large round head.