View Single Post
Old 01-16-21, 07:57 PM
danno51

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this is an old post but I just happened to come across it while doing a web search. I am the original owner of an Atala just like yours...and I still have it! I bought mine in 1974 after doing some research in various paperbacks that were dedicated to educating the “Sturmey-Archer “ crowd on the finer points of the ten speed phenomena. It was given great reviews. It is a Competizione (sp) model. It was sold as a touring bike but it came with a strange mix of parts as you well know. It had a Campagnolo Gran Turismo wide range derailleur and down tube shifters. Stronglite 93 crankset (which was a really good crankset at the time). Campy wide flange hubs with Mavic rims and D'Alessandro glue-on tubular tires (strange for a touring bike). Weinmann center pull brakes. It also had a very uncomfortable Brooks leather seat. About a year or two after I bought it I replaced the the rear derailleur and brakes with Campy Record parts. The hubs with Campy Record small flange hubs. I also went with Michelin clincher tires with Mavic rims. One thing that always confused me is they were supposed to be made with Columbus double butted tubing (makes sense) but mine came with a “Reynolds 531” sticker on the frame...go figure. I paid $270 for it at Ski-Cycle in Madison, WI and took a lot of kidding from my co-workers since I paid more for it than I did for my car at the time (a '61 VW). I kept all the original parts and could dig them out if you have any questions or need any pictures.