Old 01-17-21, 03:09 AM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Guyatwork37
My buddy and I are planning on doing a tour of Colorado this coming summer (starting and ending in the mountains, lots of climbs, camping at night, etc.). We love the look and feel of vintage steel bikes, but don't relish the thought of trying to do a mountain tour on a 10 or 12 speed with vintage components. We are toying with the idea of putting modern components (think something like Shimano 105 with a triple crank) on a vintage frame, but are unsure if it will work. I understand the rear fork spacing will need to be cold-set from 1XXmm to 130mm to accommodate a 10 - 12 speed cassette, the bottom bracket will need to be sorted out in order to accommodate a modern crankset, potentially replacing brakes for long reach if we go from a 27" to 700c tire, and possibly getting a stem adapter if we don't want to go with a quill stem, but what else am I missing? Is it even feasible? I understand the changes will cost money and time, and that's fine just trying to see if it can even be done and if worthwhile. I have a thing for Specialized bikes so I was thinking an early to mid 80s Specialized Expedition and he's British so he was looking at a Raleigh Portage. Any thoughts or insight would be great. Thank you!
It'll work great with just a little planning to sync everything up.

Here's my 2x9/10 speed 83 Pro Tour 15
- Rear triangle spread to 128mm, works well with many modern wheelsets
- 700c conversion (swapped to cantis with more room for adjustment)
- fits 38mm gravel tires or 35 and fenders (as pictured)
- Compact 50/34 chainset and 11/32t cassette, which is all the range I need for light touring in the PNW
- Long cage Deore xt rear derailleur, dirt drop bars with extra grips

Likes For ctak: