Old 01-17-21, 11:02 PM
crumbling

Bikes: MKM., F. A. Lipcombe, Schwinn King Sting, 1938 BSA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The discussion here has helped me with my hunt to the track frame I have and clarified what numbers I have. The frame I have is stamped Accles and Pollock quality A tubing and is a frame much like the A&P advertising of the 1922 tube set. The steerer tube on my frame is stamped separately with a tube set number on one side that also appears on the BB so the unusual serial number referred to on your frame is the A&P tube set number, not a builders number. This also appears to be stamped over the Nervex number that is a record of frame angles that the BB provides.

Thus I conclude the A&P tubeset number appears on both the steerer tube and BB. This also seems to apply with a small number of A&P frame sets discussed elsewhere. I doubt very much if the tubing used for my frame is Reynolds as pre 1928 A&P and Reynolds had no association at all being in complete manufacturing competition and then even up to 1980 there is only one reference to both being associated as part of Tube Investment Ltd in their used of each other’s tubing.

I have no idea of who assembled the A&P tubeset in Christchurch?, New Zealand. The Major Taylor handle bar stem and seat stem are both stamped Accles and Pollock Made In England. There is only one odd number on the BB that could be a makers date, 16, along with 36. Advertising I have seen for A&P does refer to 1914 as a manufacture date for their bars.

Pre WW1 it is recorded that the manufacture of product for domestic consumption stopped to allow for the WW1 supply to be made.

crumbling