Old 01-18-21, 05:53 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,263 Times in 689 Posts
Got a response from Onyx today, looks like I know what I will be saving up for.

What I sent them:
Dear Onyx,

Do you recommend your hubs for touring use?

I am currently looking for a rear hub on a vintage 1993 Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller that I am currently rebuilding and completely overhauling.

A quick look at your site shows me the Onyx MTB CL HG-135/QR Rear Hub and the Onyx Vesper MTB CL HG-11SPD 135/QR Rear Hub as two potential options but would you recommend your hubs for touring use?
It will most likely be a randonneuring/front-loaded style of touring but I am fairly tall at 195cm (6'5") and weigh up to 100 kg (220lbs), though I hope to get back to pre-covid/Christmas levels when my commute picks up again later this year.

The frame fits a 135mm QR hub and I prefer to lace it up to a 36H wheel but 32H would be fine too.

Which one would you recommend and what reservations would you have?
Their response:
Hi Jacco!

Our Classic hub will be the one for you. You can do go with 36H in that hub, and it’s better suited to the power you’ll put into the drivetrain.

Thank you very much,