Old 01-19-21, 02:10 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by JW in AK
Thanks for all the info Tourist. Those map links look like they could be very useful. It looks like you've got your touring cockpit pretty well dialed but I'm trying to eliminate the need for multiple devices and just get one to do exactly what I want (or as close as possible). I've used several iterations of the GPSmap and eTrex (including the legend), inReach, and Trimble hand-helds for work. ...

Your shot of the bow of your kayak and nothing but a wall of gray reminds me of paddling down around Sitka or running a skiff out in the Pribilofs. A bit disconcerting when the whole world disappears on you but, as your last photo demonstrates, fog can also make everything look pretty awesome.
If you are using a Trimble for work, you know more about GPS than 95 percent of the people on this forum, but you would likely have the most knowledge of professional grade stuff, not so much the recreational grade units.

On mine I have WAAS and Glonass turned off to reduce battery consumption. If my location is 50 feet off, I really do not care.

If you get a cycling one that recharges battery by USB port, think about how waterproof that is if it goes swimming.

Looking at the photos I posted, it really stands out how much more readable the map is on teh old black and white Garmins. That is why I prefer those for kayaking and canoeing.

Yeah, that fog was pretty cool. The photo was straight ahead, no horizon at all. I was not worried, but I made sure my marine band radio was convenient just in case I heard a big boat getting louder. I knew that a ferry would be coming along pretty soon behind me.

If you get talked into a watch, considering your location I assume you use a dry suit? If so, might need a band big enough for that. Mine has cuffs that cover the wrist gaskets, so if I wore a watch it would need a big band.
Likes For Tourist in MSN: