Old 01-20-21, 05:49 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3460 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by JW in AK
Yeah, that was kind of what I was thinking as opposed to continuous charging. I probably wouldn't ride, hike or paddle for more than 12 hours and certainly not for 20 hours so getting enough battery life for a day's use isn't much of an issue. It's just that I'm often out and away from outlets for a week or more.
I tried solar a few years ago on a 15 day kayak trip, my GPS used AA batteries and my headlamp used AA too. When I got home at the end of the trip, I weighed a few things and figured out that my solar panels and my USB powered NiMH AA charger was equal to the weight of 20 AA batteries. So, have not used solar since, I bought some more AA rechargeable batteries. I figure 1.5 AA batteries per day which always means I have extra charged up batteries at the end of the trip. I rarely am running my GPS more than 7 hours a day. I am not there to log miles, I am there to enjoy myself, thus short days.

Kayaking and canoeing, my marine band radio is almost always off, so I have never exhausted the batteries in that on an entire trip yet, it is mostly for weather reports.

My kayak and canoe trips are far from cell coverage, so that saves a lot of power too, the phone is always off.

Biking, I rely on dynohub, do not bring much in spare batteries. I am generating power while I ride on those trips.