Old 01-21-21, 09:48 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 657 Posts
I find this merging of Jackson and Woodrup interesting. The original owners of each brand Bob Jackson and Maurice Woodrup were at one time partners after WWII but something happened and their was a nasty divorce (in the 50's?). Ellis Briggs in Shipley where I learned to build bicycle frames was in the same metropolitan area as Leeds where Jackson and Woodrup are located. I heard about the break up of their partnership from Jack Briggs (the guy I learned from). One time when I wanted to learn how to do inverted seat stay attachments like on my Italian Masi, Jack sent me over to Woodrups were Maurice's son Stephen showed me how it was done. Jack said they wouldn't mind because Ellis Briggs had offered Maurice help get started again when he left Jackson's. Also E-B painted Woodrup's frames. The impression I had 45 years ago was there was some hard feeling about the separation.

While the Bob Jackson name can continue on new frames, I suspect they will reflect how Woodrup builds and prices frames. Their philosophies were not the same. What Jackson excelled at was adequately built frames at very attractive pricing. They were perfect for someone who put a greater value on cost over attention to refined details. Woodrup's were/are better and I suspect you will pay more for that increase in quality. Of course Woodrup's might think this is a great opportunity to be able to market a faster and cheaper made frame without spoiling the reputation of the Woodrup brand.
Likes For Doug Fattic: