Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
I think you are focusing on numbers in a way that is not really helpful for you. you're over complicating things and making it hard on yourself. you need to let go of that and just find a bike that is made to fit a person of your height, which is not difficult. here's what you need to look for:
  • an extra-large frame, maybe XXL if the geometry is conservative. on a mountain bike, this will probably be a 20–22" frame. on a road-oriented bike, this will be a 59–61cm frame.
  • to narrow down options, it sounds like you want to get your handlebar rather high. a frame with a relatively high stack measurement will get you there. a relatively tall head tube is a good place to start. these might be "endurance geometry" bikes or touring/ bikepacking- oriented bikes that are designed more for comfort than aerodynamics.
  • dial in the fit with saddle position, stem dimensions, and handlebar dimensions. if the frame is designed for someone of your height and riding style, this will not be difficult and should not force you to use a some obscure seatpost or a goofy handlebar / stem.
again, you're starting from a perspective in which you have boxed yourself. you need to liberate yourself from self-imposed obsession with specific numbers.

let's get real- what bikes are you considering and what's your budget? are you interested in buying a relatively modern bike, or scrounging around for dumpster parts and building a bunch of goofy-ass Frankenbikes?

I think you have a strange understanding or reach. a modern medium mountain bike designed for someone around 5'9" has a reach of 425–450mm and an older bike that assumes the rider is using a 90–100mm long stem might have a reach closer to 400mm. you're 6'3" and riding a bike with a 400mm reach would make you look like a bear on a tricycle and would wreak havoc on your spine. are you sure you understand what reach is?
Reach, as I understand, is how far the bottom bracket is from the middle of the head tube.

Using a 32mm stem on a bike with 480mm for the reach makes me feel like i am riding the front of the bike as if it were a unicycle. I do not feel like I have enough weight centered toward the rear.

As the reach decreases, this brings my legs forward on the pedal, which scoots my butt back towards the saddle. I know that trail bikes are designed with a longer reach for the purpose of allowing you to weigh the front axle accordingly over rough terrain.

However, being a rather top heavy individual with a relatively short length torso, I need a shorter reach than usual to have an otherwise similar amount of weight over the front axle. This is why I dread bikes with a long reach and top tube.

I dont care whether the bike is new or old, expensive or cheap, I only care that I feel comfortable on the bike. If I don't, I won't be riding any trails this season.

As long as i find a bike with a sufficiently tall stack, and somewhat less reach than average and use my short stem i got laying around, I think ill be good.