View Single Post
Old 01-26-21, 02:19 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
How many riders here did their first (or only?) double century at 60 or older ?
I’m going to give it a shot at some point this year but wonder if I’m crazy ? I feel completely confident that I can do it. Yes it’s going to hurt for a couple days after but I’ve no doubt I can train to the point of being prepared to complete it.
Originally Posted by jppe
It does take some training but it’s very doable. I know I did at least 3 last year at age 68 but it could have been more. The rides I remember were 125 miles, 137 miles plus a 160 miler. The 125 miler was with a small group but the other two were solo. From my experience if you can get comfortable doing 80 milers it’s not too big a deal to bump it up to 100+. I’m hoping to do a solo 200 miler from my house to the beach this year. Right now I’m behind my conditioning from last year but hopefully I can pick it up towards spring.
I'm getting close to 50 and have been reading this sub for years in order to see my future, and it looks bright. I've done Single, Double, and Triple (325 miles in 24 hrs) Imperial Centuries in my late 40's, and I'm really excited to see that I could still be doing them until I'm 70.

Riding a bike solo for 15-24 hrs is not for everyone, but it is for some.

Last edited by Riveting; 01-26-21 at 02:28 PM.