Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally posted by Falchoon
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...382074146.html

The bicycle is one of the few means of travel which has almost entirely escaped the influence of electronic technology.
Has the author never heard of cyclo-computers? Oh wait... the author mentions cyclo-computers later in the article... nice contradiction there. Also, it doesn't take having electronics ON the bike to have electronics influence the bicycle. Let's see... where do I start? CAE for design and analysis... computer controlled welding machines...

the lights are still powered by the traditional dynamo.
Hmmm... digitally controlled lighting has been around for a few years now. And obviously the author has never seen battery powered lights.... not that there's anything wrong with a dynamo.

The heart of the new concept is the electronic system which controls the automatic gear change. The computer decides the appropriate gear change. The rider has the additional choice of three ratios depending on terrain and the speed required.
This sounds like the Shimano Nexus Auto-D.

The suspension is also electronically adjusted. Florian Nebel, of the Lange firm, says that at the start of the trip, the suspension should be harder so that the maximum use is made of expended energy.

The faster the bike is ridden, the softer becomes the suspension, he said. The rider always has the option of switching off the system.
Hmmm... this system sounds less sophisticated and reliable than the electronically controlled SmartShock suspension on my MTB which BTW came out in 1998, works quite well and is proven technology that's used in the most demanding environments such as fighter aircraft landing gears. Also, I'm not so sure about the principles employed behind a suspension logic of making it softer as you go faster. I can envision situations where that may be a bad thing. Why exactly would one want suspension damping or firmness to be dependent on speed rather than say shock-impact which is how my SmartShocks and Specialized's new rear shocks work.

There's nothing wrong with electronics on a bike but electronics or any other sophisticated mechanism employed without forethought and only for the purpose of making the product look flashy undermines the principles of good engineering.