Old 01-28-21, 10:00 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
You mean had an expected immune reaction? Yeah. It can be pretty rough. I got a fever, chills, and shakes after the 2nd shot. Pretty sure I had a take two a week later which felt the same but it doesn't make sense to be an immune reaction since it's too long. Felt exactly the same though. Totally wild and glad to be over it now. Hope the new variants are covered.
I had a student who wrote me this week and said she'd gotten her second shot the night before and was feeling what you described and thought it was probably best that she didn't come to class and get other people sick. This was for a pre-nursing microbiology lab, so I felt a bit like I'd failed in my teaching of the immune response, but then I thought maybe she'd taken one of the versions taught by a different professor and then I didn't feel so bad.

Edit:I mean if she felt like crap and wasn't able to safely work in the lab because of the shakes or fever or whatever or needed to recover from her symptoms, sure, but the whole, "I don't want to get other people sick with what I got from this vaccine" part was what threw me as someone teaching future nurses about how diseases, the immune system, and vaccines work.