burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I had a student who wrote me this week and said she'd gotten her second shot the night before and was feeling what you described and thought it was probably best that she didn't come to class and get other people sick. This was for a pre-nursing microbiology lab, so I felt a bit like I'd failed in my teaching of the immune response, but then I thought maybe she'd taken one of the versions taught by a different professor and then I didn't feel so bad.

Edit:I mean if she felt like crap and wasn't able to safely work in the lab because of the shakes or fever or whatever or needed to recover from her symptoms, sure, but the whole, "I don't want to get other people sick with what I got from this vaccine" part was what threw me as someone teaching future nurses about how diseases, the immune system, and vaccines work.
Wife's aunt is a nurse in Maui. Straight up was spreading the "don't take it, they're giving you animal dna" bit and also was spreading around the "reinfection of yourself over and over by wearing a mask" Judy Mikovitz bull crap all over Facebook. Actually had it pulled down by Facebook then started private messaging people the stuff.

I chalk it up to figuring out how to execute tasks to get what's necessary to pull a paycheck. We've got engineers at work sometimes say stuff (technical stuff) that just defies the basic principles of physics, 1st or 2nd law of thermodynamics, or logic altogether.

One argument I used to get into all the time was about heat exchangers. A heat exchanger can do more work on the fluid passing through it the larger it is. A heat exchanger can do more work the more energy you either pass through it or pull out of it (cold vs. hot media sent to the exchanger). I always had people want to "improve" things by slowing down the flow of the fluid you want to heat or cool through the exchanger. This does make that fluid either hotter or colder coming out of the exchanger. However, flow rate (the per second or per minute) part of the equation seemed to escape them. A fluid coming out at 150 deg F and only 50kg/min is likely a lot less energy content than a fluid coming out at 140deg F but 100kg/min. Then the downstream process wouldn't have the capacity it needed due to their "improvement".