View Single Post
Old 01-29-21, 01:25 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10639 Post(s)
Liked 12,288 Times in 6,291 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I've been a subscriber to Bike magazine since about 1994 when I got it for entering a charity ride, iirc. I always renewed and it has been the only print media I receive except for Westways, which comes with Auto Club membership.

Bike was absorbed by another publisher and is no longer in print. Instead, they are sending Men's Journal to Bike subscribers. Meh. So far I haven't found it very interesting but it's seems predictable. It also has cigarette ads! I thought that was out?
Yeah, I remember when I started buying car magazines again after a decade or two of not buying them. After years of no tobacco ads on TV, seeing print ads is jarring. "Didn't they outlaw those?", I thought. Nope.

Speaking of forbidden ads, it's interesting to go back and look at some of the TV ads from the 1950s and 1960s. Beer ads, for instance. Ever notice that beer ads don't show anyone actually drinking the beer? It wasn't always so!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles