Old 02-01-21, 10:11 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8432 Post(s)
Liked 9,373 Times in 4,605 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
I'm not in shape to do it.

But I think ten years ago (pre-RA), had I really developed a taste for climbing, 18 hours could have been within the realm of possibility.
What is the most climbing you've done in a single ride?

I've always loved climbing rides, love the mountains and the hills. Before Garmins and all the GPS stuff we didn't have good info on climbing data and eventually we got Avocet altimeters which were barometric pressure based. Not super accurate. I don't know how much climbing I really did back in the 80s and early 90s.

I know later I did 12,000 feet on one 75 mile ride and several 10K foot centuries, along with climbs of 7K in 25-30 miles. I can't see doing 30K in one ride. No chance.

When I was younger I climbed @ 220 pounds and I was able to do whatever rides my club did, I just was near the back of the pack. I'm no good at sleep deprivation. I have friends who do the Furnace Creek 508, now the Silver State 508, and Paris Brest Paris. No, thanks. I have to sleep

BF member Vireo has done several Everest rides. I've ridden with him multiple times and the last time I saw him he made small riding bibs look baggy. Seriously thin.