bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by TulsaJohn
I can't get the link to open.
That was posted almost 10 years ago. I think Nancy kept her site open for a few years after end of their trip and then dropped it.

As far as expedition in remote corners of the world, there are two additional items I'll mention:
1. There is something to be said for *reliable* tires and not just the first ones that fit. Particularly if you are stressing weight limits or going through areas with a lot of thorns. I've gone across some somewhat remote areas (across Siberia/Russia, around Australia and across South America). I carried a folding Schwalbe or two for these circumstances and don't have much confidence a low quality tire would have lasted for long - let alone half distance of some of these continents.
2. Valve stems also make a difference. I crossed South America with 26" but with Presta. I circled Australia and crossed Russia with 700c. There wasn't much different in finding my *presta* tubes as finding 700c tubes. In both cases, it really was the larger metropolitan cities that I looked for bike shops and picked up things generally sold across internationally.