Old 02-01-21, 12:45 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 707 Times in 434 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
. ...Suntour Superbe components were modeled in direct competition with the Campagnolo New Record stuff that was contemporary with it. So initially it had stuff like 144 BCD chainrings, and I do seem to recall ISO spindles as a part of the group. It's not unusual to be able to get them to work on another standard of square taper spindle, but it's not guaranteed. This is explained very well on Sheldon Brown, here. The most usual event is that when you mount an ISO socketed crank arm on JIS tapered spindle, it ends up farther out on the spindle. This affects chainline. You have to mount everything and measure to see how much, and in some cases it can be an improvement on what the previous owner's setup was. But If it ends up too far out of line, you need to get a different spindle in there. So at that point, unless you have a big box of spares hanging around, it's just better and easier to order what you really need, as a one piece sealed unit, with Italian threading and shell width/spindle length, online. It's preferable to spending a lot of time futzing around and mounting and dismounting a number of times with different setups.
Thanks. Yes, I was reading that Sheldon Brown page just last night. As installed right now, on the Velo Orange BB, as mentioned above "need to check chainline but chain stay is 8mm from inner chainring, 12mm from outer." Also, by eye, chainline looks sweet and indeed, bolting up the front derailleur that came off the same bike the crankset and other components were from, cage sitting perfectly over the inner chainring without adjustments. Now that I have a digital micrometer I tend to measure everything, I was able determine that there is 6.39mm between the face at the end of the spindle, and a "bolt-up face", down in the crank arm's recess where the bolt goes. D'ya think I have enough engagement between spindle and arm? I'd surely like to leave it as-is, and I checked V.O.'s site and their next size down on an Italian BB is 110mm from the current 118mm, so maybe that's for track or 1x applications. Have not looked into other brands but the last no-name one I bought (Amazon?) made grinding noises like a cement mixer after a few rides, so I am wary of brands I am not familiar with.