View Single Post
Old 02-02-21, 08:56 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
The lizard skin video has some shortcomings. I put the clamp cover tape on first and cut it so there's no overlap onto the shifter body. I never have to use a figure eight wrap. The trick there is for the wrap to end closer to or slightly overlaping the lower edge of shifter body. Some shifters allow the tape to slip under the body slightly. Then, only a single wrap will cover everything. The other mistake comes near the end, where the angle is cut at the end. The tape should be held at the wrap angle and the cut made perpendicular to the bars, with the end of the tape just slightly narrower than the electrical tape and the length of the tape ending under the bar, behind the cables. Cut the proper length first, then the angle. Since I always use black tape, carefully applied electrical tape, with about 1/16 inch hanging over the edge of the bar tape creates a perfect edge that curls over the bar tape.

The plug installation is exactly what I do, except that it should be done after only a couple of turns. Is something doesn’t look right, that's the time to fix it.