Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1352 Post(s)
Liked 2,497 Times in 1,466 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Is there a current TT convention without necessarily testing? Wider elbows narrowing at the hands? I can move my pads out one space I think, so maybe 2mm? Might be worth trying...

My road bike bars are 38s at the hoods, and I run my hands a bit to the inside there and have no problem turtling and or tucking a bit. Doesn't seem faster than the aero bars, though. Probably a compromise in there somewhere.
I do not know of any convention. An old school theory was if your shoulders were wider, it was faster to have the pads and hands farther apart to allow the air to split. If you are more of an ectomorph, skinny with narrow shoulders, then pads and hands close together and form a wedge.

In the aero testing I have done, ERO emphasized head position and we ran test runs to show the difference of a turtled head v head up. We played around with cockpit setups in the studio and on the track to optimize CdA for my particular build. I have broad shoulders and long arms and a hump in my back similar to Lance. I am built like Lance but maybe longer arms and legs.