Old 02-06-21, 09:44 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by hsuBM
Seems like you’re way overthinking this.

Just go to the bike shop and buy an eBike in a color you like.

It won’t be efficient.

It will be faster than riding a regular bicycle at your preferred effort level.

Worrying about pedal feel on an assisted bike is like worrying about sports car handling in a pickup truck: The lowest, most powerful Toyota Tundra or Silverado is never going to be on-par with a Supra or 911.

Not everyone is put together the same way. What a boring world it would be if they were. Feel is not the same as efficiency but may be perceived that way. The OP's question is very valid.

I am a touchy feely engineer and for me, a bike has to have a certain feel that talks to me and makes me feel like riding it. If the bike does not have that "feel", without power, I will spend until it does have that feel, or get a different bike. "Shut up and ride" is okay right up to the point that I don't like the way the bike feels. . Biking for me, is more than getting from point A to point B and exercise. For me, riding a bike is the entire immersed experience and being part of nature.
My bike has that "feel" but its heavier than dog snot. 50 to 85 lb (23-39 kg) depending on how I have it configured and expensive. I can pedal the bike 10-12 mph (16-20 kph) unassisted on level ground, low wind. In group rides I often have the bike power off or very low power. (Group rides average age is about 75 yo) I always pedal, no throttle except to get started once in a while. I put in about 100-140 watts of my own power and the bike makes up any differences. "Feel" can be the difference of getting out there and riding often or sitting at home not doing much or anything.
Likes For KPREN: